Mid-Century Home Remodel
A Kensington, MD Home Gets an Addition with a New Kitchen & Outdoor Kitchen
In early 2016, a couple sold their Northwest Washington, DC townhouse to relocate to suburban Kensington, Maryland (Garrett Park). Seeking to remodel their new home, they consulted with an architect and builder from Wentworth The clients’ goal was to buy a long-term family-friendly home, remodel, and start their family there.
They purchased a 1950s Ranch home that fit their love of mid-century design. The house, while not large, provided opportunities to expand out and up for a growing family. The homeowners viewed their project in two distinct phases:
- Immediate – kitchen addition with a new deck and outdoor kitchen at the rear of the home
- With a few years – second-floor addition with more bedrooms and bathrooms built on the footprint of the original 1950s house
Below are photos of the home addition’s construction, from the earliest stages.
Construction can get chaotic and messy—but the end result is always beautiful!
Design-Build Solutions: Note-Worthy Features of the Addition
- Open-plan design
- Large windows to provide expansive views
- Unique glazed porcelain tile on the entire wall, embossed with an angled detail
- Butterfly roof
- IPE decking (low-maintenance and aesthetically pleasing)
- Custom cooking island in outdoor kitchen (with brick walls and a 2” thick Bluestone countertop) with charcoal smoker/Kamado style grill and stainless steel built-in Lynx grill with storage underneath
- Mix of exterior materials—natural cedar siding, painted board and batten with fiber cement panels
- Contemporary pilasters painted red (color red acts as a motif repeating throughout the design—in the pendants electrical cords, floor mats, and accessories)
Home Additions in the Kensington, MD Area
The Wentworth team has remodeled all types of homes throughout Washington, DC and the surrounding areas of Northern Virginia and Montgomery County, Maryland. Are you interested in building an addition to your home? Contact us today to start the conversation!