What Is the Best Bathroom Sink?
The sink is a workhorse in your bathroom—small yet important, it assists you with your daily activities and can enhance the overall design of the room. You want to make sure you choose a sink that fits with your bathroom, lifestyle, needs, and design taste. The good news is there are a variety of options. The bad news is that there are so many that it can sometimes be overwhelming! This is why we’ve provided a quick guide.
Your Bathroom Sink Options
It’s impossible to cover everything in a blog post (you’ll get all the information and details you need when talking to a professional remodeler), but this is a good place to start. The sink type/mount and material are two of the most important decisions—they will play a large role in the functionality of your bathroom.
- Top-mount: A top-mount (also referred to as self-rimming or drop-in) sink is mounted above the counter, with the lip overlapping the countertop. These types of sink are versatile and work well with nearly any countertop material.
- Under-mount: Very popular and complementary to many bathroom styles, under-mount sinks sit slightly below the countertop and provide a seamless, sleek appearance. One major benefit of under-mount sinks is easy clean-up.
- Vessel: Sitting above the countertop, vessel sinks can add character to any space and are available in many different colors, sizes, and shapes. Just be careful with the counter size—because these sinks add height since they sit on top of the counter, be sure yours isn’t too high or uncomfortable to use.
- Pedestal: Pedestal sinks often come to mind when one pictures a bathroom sink. Classic options, these sinks complement traditional bathrooms and can definitely make a statement. If you like a wall mounted sink but plumbing can’t be changed and waste must go through the floor, a pedestal sink is ideal.
- Stainless steel: Although way more popular in kitchens, stainless steel is making its way into more bathrooms. It’s available in different thicknesses and makes cleanup a breeze.
- Porcelain or enamel: The classic bathroom sink material! Like stainless steel, porcelain and enamel sinks are easy to clean (always an advantage when it comes to the sink). They are also available in many different colors—and work well in any bathroom.
- Solid surface: Solid surfacing sinks resist stains well. They don’t do as well where heat is concerned so be careful with hot curling irons or straighteners.
- Tempered glass: A tempered glass sink actually works very well for the bathroom—although it can scratch and potentially break more easily than other materials, it is resistant to all types of stains, from drain cleaners to nail polish remover. We don’t recommend this type of sink for kid-friendly spaces.
There are more bathroom sink options, but these are some of the most common.
Best Sink for Your Bathroom
When you’re remodeling your bathroom, you want to rest assured you’re making the right decisions. The Wentworth team has remodeled countless powder rooms and master baths in the Washington, DC metropolitan area and can help you choose the right sink—and other elements—for your space.
View our gallery and contact us today to get started on your dream bathroom!
“ Dear Bruce, We are so pleased with our new room addition, designed and constructed by Wentworth, Inc. Mr. Lach gave us a design that elevates our spirits each day and brings praise from friends and neighbors who have seen the room in actuality or iPhone photos. Steve Barnard has our highest praise for triumph over single-digit temps, record snows, and personal changes to oversee and manage the on-site Wentworth team. His craftsmanship with built-in bookcases both in the new room and dining room will continue to give us pleasure for years to come. Carpenter Juan is a valuable asset to your company and its client-homeowners. Consistently punctual at 7 a.m., skilled in workmanship and explanations to homeowners, good team leader and good team player. With our gratitude for all the meetings here and at your office, for you and your team who worked with us every step of the way, and our warmest regards, ”C.J., Arlington, VA