What Is the Best Bathroom Flooring?
The bathroom—though not always glamorous—is one of the most significant necessities in your home. From the vanity to the mirror to the shower stall, everything in the room should work together to create a space that is highly functional and fits your needs. But with the right flooring, your bathroom can be glamorous as well!
But what floor material is best for this space? Is one type of floor better for bathrooms than another? It’s always best to talk to professionals, but we hope to provide some answers for you below.
Your Bathroom Floor Options
To find out which floor material is best for your home, you first need to know your options. As with most aspects of bathroom remodeling, you have a lot!
- Ceramic: One of the most popular bathroom floor options, ceramic tiles are durable and easy to clean. They can be cold on bare feet and slippery when wet—but there are slip-resistant tiles available.
- Vinyl: Vinyl flooring can be a great option for the bathroom. It is extremely affordable and comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns to match any style. There are even variations that mimic real wood and stone. Vinyl is also more waterproof than other materials.
- Wood: Yes, wood and water don’t mix—but it’s possible to install wood floors in a bathroom (sealing and other protection must be applied). Plus, there are more waterproof options. If you have your heart set on wood bathroom flooring, we recommend using it in a powder room.
- Stone: In the past several years, stone tiles (marble, granite, limestone, etc.) have become more popular in bathrooms. More maintenance (cleaning and sealing) is required but nothing beats the look of real stone.
There are more bathroom flooring options, but these are some of the most common.
Best Flooring for Your Bathroom
What is the best bathroom floor material? That’s a tough one to answer—there is no best option for all spaces. It depends on several factors, such as your lifestyle, needs, budget, and personal preferences. Which floor material is the right for your bathroom?
Every homeowner is unique. Every family is different. Consider your lifestyle and your top priorities (Easy maintenance? Aesthetics?).
Consider ceramic flooring if you…
- Value durability and timelessness (ceramic tiles will always be a popular choice for bathrooms)
- Have young children and are perhaps looking for a low-maintenance option that’s easy to clean
Consider vinyl flooring if you…
- Have a tighter budget (it’s all about determining where you want to spend the most—if you’d rather allocate most of your budget to the vanity and shower, for instance, a more affordable floor material may be right for your bathroom)
- Have young children running around (vinyl is more slip-resistant and can stand up to higher foot traffic)
Consider wood flooring if you…
- Prefer the beauty and warmth of real wood
- Are remodeling a bathroom without a shower
Consider stone flooring if you…
- Prefer the unique beauty of real granite, marble, or another stone (if you want stone in your bathroom but aren’t sure about using it for the floors, there are other ways to incorporate it in smaller amounts—such as a vanity countertop or backsplash tile behind the sink)
- Are trying to achieve a look that is meant to impress
It all depends on your needs and lifestyle. This is just a quick guide—professional remodelers can help you narrow down your options and choose a material that works perfectly for your space.
Bathroom Remodeling in Washington, DC
Looking for a design-build company serving the Washington, DC metropolitan area? Wentworth’s award-winning team has remodeled many bathrooms in DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia and can help you determine the best floor for your space. View our portfolio and contact us today to get started on your remodel!