Modern, Must-Have Home Amenities
When it comes to remodeling, size doesn’t matter as much as function. Big does not equal better in every case. In fact, the right features and design make for a much better home than a large one that doesn’t utilize space wisely or fit the homeowners’ needs and desires.
If you’re unhappy with your home and are frustrated at the limited space, the solution may not necessarily be a bigger home. This is especially true here in the Washington, DC area, where space is at a premium and local building codes sometimes don’t allow for additions. More space isn’t always the answer! Amenities are the key to an amazing home. According to an article from Professional Remodeler magazine, “no matter what the income, buyers overwhelmingly prefer a smaller house with more features and amenities over sheer size.”
According to Professional Remodeler, “buyers are drawn to kitchens and baths that feel customized. For many, aging in place is top of mind.” Universal and age-in-place design are extremely important today, as more and more older folks want to age in their own homes.
Popular features with homeowners in the last couple of years and relatively simple, smart updates (in Professional Remodeler and U.S. News) include:
- Exterior lighting
- Curb appeal landscaping
- Stainless steel finishes
- Cabinet panels that hide appliances (such as appliance garages and integrated refrigerators)
- LED under-cabinet lighting
- ENERGY STAR® qualified appliances
- Full bathroom on main level
- Separate laundry rooms
- Energy-efficient products (low-E windows, ceiling fans, and programmable thermostats are among the most sought after)
- Smart home design features, such as Nest cameras, (for added convenience, security, and energy savings)
- Gas fireplaces
- Barn doors (trendy way to enhance a room; if you want to soften the modern vibe a bit, add a distressed finish to the doors)
Utilizing Existing Space
Often, the best solution is using the space you have. Space reconfiguration can be a cost-effective alternative to building an addition and is a great way to add more amenities you want or need. The Wentworth team has even turned unused porches into more functional kitchens. Have a porch or mudroom you hardly use? Have unnecessary space in the kitchen you want to turn into a laundry room? Space reconfiguration can achieve this.
Home Remodeling in Washington, DC
If you’re ready to upgrade your DC, Maryland, or Northern Virginia home to better enjoy day-to-day life, contact the award-winning team at Wentworth! We have seen and done it all and look forward to helping you achieve your remodeling goals.