Home Remodeling Tips for a Stress-Free Experience: Part 1
While it’s exciting to remodel your home, it is a valuable investment—so you want to make sure you’re going about it the right way. Whether you’re building an addition or reconfiguring interior space, you should make sure you get the most out of your remodel and make sure everything turns out right.
Fortunately, there are a lot of things you can do to ensure your home remodeling project goes smoothly from beginning to end—and it starts with choosing the right remodelers!
Home Remodeling Tips: Before the Project
The single best thing you can do to make sure your home remodel is completed to your satisfaction is to hire a great company. Choosing the right remodelers can be a time-consuming process because there are so many good ones out there, but be patient and try to follow these proven methods:
Choosing a Company
- Do your research to find reputable companies. Look online to find the best remodeling companies in your area. Check professional industry websites like NARI, NKBA, etc., and check for complaints filed against the company on the Better Business Bureau.
- Once you find potential companies, do more research. Ensure the company is licensed and insured. Certified designers and remodelers will give you the best results—they are trained to address both functional and aesthetic issues, and they are also up-to-date on products that can help you make the best and most cost-effective design choices.
- Ask potential companies questions. Think about it as an interview process. Don’t hesitate to ask companies questions—including how long they’ve been in business, insurance, license numbers, a portfolio of past work, references you can contact, familiarity with local building codes, upfront estimates, awards they’ve won, and more.
Once you choose a company—based on value and quality, not just the price—make sure the contract is well-written and that everything is clear to you. Also, make sure the remodelers understand your goals and exactly what you’re envisioning for your project. If you don’t have a complete vision, that’s perfectly fine…which brings us to our next point.
One of the best home remodeling tips is to do your research to get a grasp of your vision. Very few people know exactly what they want when they hire a remodeling company, and that’s okay . If you can, try to think about your remodeling goals beforehand. What are you envisioning for your home remodeling project? Talking to the remodeling team can help with this, of course—but it’s never a bad idea to do some research on the front end, keeping specific needs in mind, such as design elements that are:
- Needed for aging-in-place
- Ideal for modern, on-the-go lifestyles
- And more
Whatever your needs and aesthetic preferences, the right company can ensure every detail is taken care of and all your remodeling goals are met.
Once you find the right company, the project is discussed in full detail, and the contract is prepared, you’re ready to begin your home remodel.
Stay tuned for part two about remodeling tips during the construction process—coming soon!