Remodeling for the Long-Term
It’s important to take a long-term approach when planning for home remodeling projects. Our design/build team approaches each remodeling project with the knowledge that we have two clients:
- The homeowners we are working for
- The house we are remodeling
Both have needs to be considered, especially if you’re trying to maximize enjoyment and long-term ROI.
Seamless & Sensitive Additions for DC Area Homes
At Wentworth, we take two approaches to a home’s exterior remodel:
If a home’s exterior architecture is a defined style and the homeowner admires the style of their home, we’ll design an addition (or exterior alteration) that is sympathetic and seamless to the house. Within a homeowner’s budget constraints, a remodeling will look original to the older home. At Wentworth, we feel it’s important to be respectful of a home’s architectural style and to have our work enhance a home’s architecture. Whatever updated design styles for improvement one chooses to utilize on the home’s interior for kitchens, bathrooms and reconfigurations are easily varied in style; after all, the technologies of a home are ever-evolving.
When our client’s preferences or the architecture of the house are better suited to a contemporary-style addition, we carefully plan the design. This design approach is also respectful of a home’s architecture through consideration of the proportions, scale and materials of the existing building to arrive at an optimal solution. For example, a minimalistic glassy room addition can be a wonderful architectural complement to a more traditional-style home. A contemporary-style addition provides variety and a client’s personal expression to a home. And, with a design/build professional, design and execution provides a timeless-style home addition.
In the end, it is always good to respect our elder homes. This yields the best results, if you want to stay in your home for several years before moving. After all, a good remodel can last 15 years or more with only minor tinkering.
Remodeling Projects with Good ROI
Based on current data, projects with high long-term ROI include:
- Minor kitchen remodels: Minor kitchen updates, such as installing new cabinets, countertops, flooring, and appliances, can have a major impact. This project has had one of the highest average returns in remodeling magazine’s Cost vs. Value report for the past decade.
- Attic conversions: Attic remodeling is another project that can be well worth the money. If you need more space and don’t want to build an addition, space reconfiguration like an attic conversion can be a smart solution.
- Fiber cement siding installations: Durable fiber cement siding offers a high ROI. The Wentworth team has recommended this type of siding—and many others—to ensure seamless, attractive home additions.
If you invest in a renovation, it’s smart to enjoy the newly remodeled home and, with time, reap the improved market value. Wentworth can help you get there. We have experience remodeling all types of homes in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
View our portfolio and contact us for an initial consultation!