Home Remodeling Tips for a Stress-Free Experience: Part 2
If you’re getting ready to remodel your home, there are a lot of things to think about. It can be overwhelming, but if you have the right remodeling company on your side—and know some tips to help the overall process go more smoothly—it can be stress-free and enjoyable.
If you missed part one of our Home Remodeling Tips, be sure to check it out for tips on finding a good remodeling company (as well as some good general tips). And keep reading for how to live a little easier during the actual construction process and more general remodeling tips!
Home Remodeling Tips: During Construction
Most great home remodeling companies will clean up the construction site each day before leaving to ensure minimal disruption to your daily routines—but it can still be hard for homeowners. During the remodeling project, you may want to:
- Create a makeshift room: If you’re renovating the kitchen, create a makeshift kitchen elsewhere in the house. It’s easy enough to set up a toaster, coffee maker, and perhaps a mini fridge (if there’s no room for a fridge, the garage is a great place for it) somewhere else. It also may be a good idea to buy plastic utensils, plates, bowls, and cups and to cook meals ahead of time and keep them in the freezer to minimize cooking and dish washing.
- Label important stuff: Keep commonly used items in clear plastic storage containers and label them—and box up rarely used items and store them away. The less clutter, the better!
- Prevent the spreading of dust: No matter how careful the remodeling company is, dust will spread during the project. You can reduce this, however, by closing off vents and sealing the area with plastic sheets. Many companies will actually do this for you.
- Track the progress: Use a bulletin board or white board to track the progress of the remodel! Even consider taking photos and making a checklist and calendar, crossing off each step when it’s done. This can help when you start to feel frustrated or impatient, which is natural for homeowners during a remodeling project.
We shared some tips in part one, but it doesn’t hurt to hear some more!
- Don’t want to expand but hate feeling cramped in certain rooms? Try creating illusion of space with features like light colors, mirrors, vaulted ceilings, skylights, etc.
- Textured decorative and faux finish painting can hide minor damage or abnormalities that flat paint can’t.
- Instead of building an addition, it’s sometimes possible to “borrow” space from an adjacent room—this is called space reconfiguration.
- Neutral colors and fixtures not only cost less initially but also offer timeless appeal—they’ll be as up-to-date in 10 years as they were the day your remodel was finished.
Looking for Architects in the DC Area?
With the right remodeling company, your remodeling project will turn out exactly how you’re envisioning—without much stress on your part. It’s all about planning ahead and doing the research to find the right company.
If you’re looking for DC area architects, Wentworth can help. Our design-build firm, which consists of talented architects, interior designers, and carpenters, has created many award-winning homes in Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia. Visit our portfolio and contact us to learn more!